Monday, December 27, 2004

Speaking of Caracas

Much gratitude to the Frieden brothers, one in the States and one in Thailand, for their continued encouragement for my blogging. And for their great gift recently of a movie pass to the Ragtag Cinema Cafe which shows many excellent documentaries and independent films.

Ernesto "Che" Guevara's journal of a trip he made from Buenos Aires to Caracas in his pre-revolutionary days is the subject of Motorcycle Diaries, a lovely film. I was unaware of a number of things about Che, but not that the CIA collaborated in his murder. If you get a chance to see this film, take it. (Check out that link to the website - very nice.)

And speaking of Caracas, when I was there last spring, I was surprised to see that Che's likeness is painted on buildings and walls all over the barrios. I tried to find a shirt with a picture of Venezuela's revolutionary president Hugo Chávez, but everywhere I went, the only picture to be found was that of Che Guevara.

No comments:

Post a Comment