Monday, November 22, 2004

About that election...

I visited with my eighty-something-year-old , twice-widowed, aunt this afternoon. Still sharp as the proverbial tack, she manages her own finances. A woman with a college degree and teaching experience, she went to work in a factory during WWII, a time during which she says she learned how to pinch a penny. She's very concerned about the administration's insanity, and when her elder son told her he had to vote on the "morals" issue - can't let those gay people get married - she told him she was glad then to "cancel" his vote with hers. She said she sure hopes they don't privatize social security, but allowed as maybe she wouldn't live long enough to suffer the consequences if they do.

She was concerned enough, though, to extract a promise from me that if it came to that, I'd come to visit her in the poor house. In fact, I told her it wouldn't be a problem, as I'd be living there with her.

We're not all red here in Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment