Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Technical difficulties

I just blog. I don't do Windows.

I try to look at my formatting in Mozilla, I.E., and sometimes Netscape, but I don't understand all of the tricks of formatting (or even most of them), so I can't figure out why some browser and terminal combinations render the view one way and others another. Why the hell don't they just standardize this stuff? (Okay, I know why - Microsoft couldn't monopolize the market.) I know that if I forget to limit the size of a large graphic, it will throw off the formatting, and you'll play hell trying to read the blog. I just don't know how to code them so that they "float" with the size of the columns, and the blog view stays narrower than your full screen but floats with the size of your terminal. Some things are controlled by tblog, and some I can change. I also don't know why the IE browser doesn't render the background gold the same as the post heading gold, when I have them coded with the same number. Go figger. Of course, with my latest adjustment, you shouldn't be able to see the background gold at all (unless it's just a strip at the top of the screen - and I can't figure out why some browsers render it with that strip and some don't).

I spent hours this past weekend trying to code some pages on my website to have a "frozen" sidebar with links while you scroll the main column of the page. It worked beautifully in Mozilla, but I.E. wouldn't play along. I found a website that offers tips and gave a line of code that was supposed to make it work in I.E., but it just wouldn't. At least not on my computer.

Anyway, I apologize for all the format changing as I try to get it working as best I can. Mostly, I have to make sure Rich can read it on his computer, as Rich is probably the person who reads YWA the most faithfully and the most often. You do understand that I have to keep Rich happy, don't you?

Update 1:00pm: LaBelle takes exception. With good reason. It may be that Rich does not read YWA more often or more faithfully than she. And she does provide invaluable feedback on typos and other errors. Without pay, even!

Oh my. I may not do Windows, but I do dig holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment