Friday, January 7, 2005

Silencing the sham update

Recall that the U.S. Army shut down a military doctor's website after he reported on the mess tent bombing in Mosul. Here's the notice that remains on Maj. Cohen's website:

Dear Family, Friends, Colleagues, Loyal Readers, New Readers, and Everyone else that finds this site interesting,

I have some very unfortunate news. Levels above me have ordered, yes ORDERED, me to shut down this website. They cite that the information contained in these pages violates several Army Regulations. I certainly disagree with this. However, I have made a decision to turn off the site pending further investigation as to whether or not I have violated these Army Regulations.

As many of you can tell from reading the pages within this site, I LOVE being an Army Physician. Nothing gives me greater professional fulfillment than to be able to take care of these courageous men and women who risk their lives fighting for America's freedom. Additionally, working alongside the brilliant doctors, nurses, medics, and other soldiers like those of the 67th CSH makes me so proud to be an American and a Soldier. A part of me really wants to continue this website to provide our families and friends information about what we are doing here. I have been emotionally overwhelmed with the quantity of supportive emails I have received from people who enjoy reading our site. Give me some time to process this turn of events.

I apologize to anyone that has found this site offensive or inappropriate.

I also apologize to those who have enjoyed reading our posts and now are unable to continue.

His email address is there as well.

The Pocono Record had a December 26 article about the website before it was shut down. Apparently Dr./Maj. Cohen had some dreams of becoming the first Jewish president of the U.S. I think he can pretty well abandon them now.

Of course I don't know, but some of the problem the Army had with his website could have been a pre-bombing post where he called the base at Mosul "one swimming pool short of a country club."

...but hey, do what you want...you will anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment